Boys basketball: Windom Area knocks off Fairmont

DAILY GLOBE FAIRMONT -- Windom Area made a big statement Friday with a win over one of the top teams in the Big South Conference. Fairmont took the Section 3A South title last season. This year, it opened with a 55-52 loss courtesy of the Eagles....


FAIRMONT - Windom Area made a big statement Friday with a win over one of the top teams in the Big South Conference.
Fairmont took the Section 3A South title last season. This year, it opened with a 55-52 loss courtesy of the Eagles.
The Cardinals were up 25-23 at halftime, but with 14 minutes left to play, Windom Area made its move. It went on an 18-3 run to go up by nine at 46-37 with 5:33 remaining. The home team got back within a bucket, but the Eagles were able to hang on for the three-point victory thanks in large part to a 12-5 advantage on the boards in the second half.
Sam Huska put up 17 points to go with three assists and three steals. Jeff Pfeffer and Austin Fast tallied 13 and 12 points, respectively. Adam Farag snapped seven rebounds with Luke Gilbertson dishing out four assists.
Tyler Tennyson scored 14 points to lead the Cardinals. He added four dimes and three steals. Walker Tordsen added 12 points and eight rebounds.
The Eagles (1-0 overall, 1-0 Big South) host Cedar Mountain/Comfrey on Tuesday.
Windom 23 55
Fairmont 25 52
MCC 78, SESM 47
SLEEPY EYE - It didn’t take Murray County Central’s Grant Rohrer long to hit a big milestone.
The Rebels’ 6-5 senior center entered the game just 11 points shy of 1,000 points in his career. He had that and a whole lot more in the first half alone.
Rohrer put up 27 of his 33 total points in the first half alone to help lead MCC to a 78-47 victory over Sleepy Eye St. Mary’s in both teams’ season opener.
A big run of 20-7 midway through the first half gave the Rebels plenty of breathing room at 28-13. By halftime, they’d extended that to 49-23 with Rohrer scoring 27.
It took 11 minutes in the second half, but MCC got it into running time by going up 69-34. It cruised from there to close out a 78-47 victory.
The Rebels (1-0 overall, 0-0 Red Rock Conference) will be play Sleepy Eye Public in the second game of the Sleepy Eye Tip-Off Tourney.
MCC 49 78
SESM 23 47
RRC 79, RCW 72
LAMBERTON - Renville County West struck early, but Red Rock Central got things going and never looked back.
The Falcons claimed the lead midway through the first half and never looked back, eventually defeating the Jaguars 79-72.
An 11-3 lead put RRC up 22-17. It turned that into a 40-33 halftime advantage.
RCW started strong again in the second half. A surge of 18-12 got the Jaguars back within one at 52-51 with just a little more than 11 minutes to play. It remained a one-possession game until Taylor Bunting completed a four-point play to extend the lead back to seven at 64-57.
Bunting finished with six three-pointers in the win.
The Falcons kept their opponents at an arm’s length from there, finishing off the nonconference win.
Luke Engen finished with a team-high 22 points for RRC. Bunting, Ismael Pintor and Sam Hansen all reached double figures in the scoring department as well with 19, 18 and 14, respectively. Brady Holwerda finished with 21 points for the Jags.
The Falcons (1-0 overall, 0-0 RRC) travel to Springfield on Tuesday.
RCW 33 72
RRC 40 79

T-M-B 68, W-WG 34
WESTBROOK - Four Panthers hit double figures as Tracy-Milroy-Balaton doubled Westbrook-Walnut Grove’s score. Josh Kirk tallied 17 points while teammates Spencer Smith had 14 and Brett Swenhaugen and Riley Kirk 11 apiece.
The Panthers rolled throughout, putting up a 39-11 lead at halftime.
No Charger player reached double figures. Kennedy Her and Parker Freeburg each scored eight points.
Derek Larson had nine rebounds and Riley Kirk added seven for the winners.
Kyle Kuehl pulled down seven boards for W-WG.
T-M-B 39 68
W-WG 11 23
Springfield 69, MLA 53
MOUNTAIN LAKE - Tanner Vogel scored 24 points and Isaac Fink added 14 as Springfield outpointed Mountain Lake Area.
The game was deadlocked 30-30 at halftime, but Springfield outscored the Wolverines 39-23 in the second half. One difference was free throws: Springfield converted 14 of 26 while MLA went to the line only eight times, making seven.
Ryan McCue had 13 points, seven rebounds and three assists for the Wolverines. Chris Boyd scored nine points.
Fink had nine rebounds, six assists and three steals to aid the Tigers’ efforts.
Springfield 30 69
MLA 30 53
Fulda 70, HL-O 57
OKABENA - A 33-point performance by Fulda junior guard Justin Dierks helped the visiting Fulda Raiders earn a 13-point win over Heron Lake-Okabena in a non-conference game.
Dierks fired in five three-pointers, including four in the second half, as Fulda overcame a three-point halftime deficit with a 24-4 run during the first six minutes after intermission, opening up a 50-33 lead on the Wildcats, who once led by seven points, 20-13, midway through the first half.
Sophomore guard Leighton Gehl scored 14 points (four three-pointers) and came up with seven steals, along with five rebounds for the Raiders, while Brian Fenske tallied 11 points, claimed six rebounds, passed for six assists and had four steals.
Dierks, who scored 21 of his points in the second half, finished with a game-high seven assists, along with a trio of steals.
Matt Poppe (16 points, seven rebounds), Kurt Obermoller (16 points, five rebounds) and Logan Knutson (12 points, six assists) each scored in double figures for the Wildcats, who put a total of eight players in the point column.
HL-O’s Travis Behrends blocked two shots and pulled down a game-high 15 rebounds, with 13 of those coming off the defensive boards.
Fulda (1-0) hosts Lakeview today and HL-O (0-1) travels to play Westbrook-Walnut Grove on Tuesday.
Fulda 26 70
HL-O 29 57

What To Read Next
Thursday night high school sports roundup:
Better scores on balance beam leads to success
The Bluejay's rotation of seven players kept up with the larger roster of the Riverland Blue Devils. The Minnesota West mens' team missed a 3-point shot in the final seconds to force overtime.
The Minnesota West women's basketball team held together in the second half to protect a lead and defeat a strong Riverland team, 77-70, in Worthington on Wednesday