Gopher report: Minnesota struggles against top 10 teams on road
Minnesota heads to Michigan State after losing consecutive games with the losses coming by 13 and 23 points.
Minnesota at Michigan State
6 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2022
The Gophers have struggled on the road against teams ranked in the top 10 of the AP poll.
Lowest Win Pct at AP Top 10 Team - Big Ten, Last 20 seasons
- Rutgers 0-5, .000
- Minnesota 1-20, .048
- Nebraska 1-18, .053
- Penn State 2-20, .091
- Northwestern 2-18, .100
This century, Minnesota’s lone win at a school ranked in the top ten came exactly 10 years prior to Wednesday’s game, a 77-74 win at No. 7 Indiana on Jan. 12, 2012.
Additional team and player notes
● Minnesota has lost consecutive games with the losses coming by 13 and 23 points. Since the beginning of last season, the team has 12 conference losses by double digits. In that span, only Nebraska and Butler have more such losses among major conference teams.
● Jamison Battle has scored in double figures in all 13 of his games for Minnesota. The last two players to start their Gopher career with so many games with at least 10 points were Vincent Grier (15 straight, 2004-05) and Kris Humphries (29 straight, 2003-04).
● When the teams met in December, Eric Curry scored a career-high 18 points in the 75-67 loss. His previous high was 12 points, having done so four times.
● Michigan State’s two losses this season came to current No.1 Baylor and current No. 9 Kansas. The Spartans are 12-0 this season against unranked foes.
● Gabe Brown leads the Spartans with 37 made 3-pointers this season. In his first three seasons with Michigan State, Brown never made more than 34 threes in any season.